This summer brings significant changes to the University of Georgia Press.
As of late June, the Press is now located on the University of
Georgia Campus. The new address is Main Library, Third Floor, 320 South Jackson
Street, Athens, GA, 30602. While individual email addresses have remained the
same, all phone and fax numbers have changed. For current contact information,
please visit our website.
This move allows the Press to return to campus after spending
nearly 20 years at the off-site Oakbrook Corporate Campus. The Press’s space in
the Main Library became available when the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library—including University Archives, the Richard B. Russell Jr. Library for
Political Research and Studies, and the Walter J. Brown Media Archives and
Peabody Collection—moved into the new Richard B. Russell Jr. Special Collections Libraries Building.
"As the University of Georgia Press prepares to celebrate
its 75th anniversary in 2013, our move to the Main Library in the
heart of campus, nearer to faculty, staff, students, and friends, seems most
fitting. Too, sharing space with our library colleagues makes possible mutually
beneficial exchanges about the changing world of scholarly communications,” said
Lisa Bayer, new director of the UGA Press as of July 1.
Since its founding in 1938, the primary mission of the
University of Georgia Press has been to support and enhance the University’s
place as a major research institution by publishing outstanding works of
scholarship and literature by scholars and writers throughout the world.
The Press is the only scholarly publisher within the University
System of Georgia. A full member of the Association of American University
Presses since 1940, the Press is also the oldest and largest book publisher in
the state. With a full-time staff of 24 publishing professionals, the Press
currently publishes 75-80 new books a year and has 1000 titles in print.
In 2008 the Press received the Governor’s Award in the
Humanities “for enriching the life of the humanities through a distinguished
record of publications, for serving as an important resource to libraries and
other community discussion groups, and for building partnerships that
contribute to enlightened communities of readers in Georgia and the nation.”