Hudson's legacy in the eyes of the wider public will be such monumental studies as Knights of Spain, Warriors of the Sun: Hernando de Soto and the South’s Ancient Chiefdoms and The Southeastern Indians, as well as his leading role in establishing the route of the Hernando de Soto expedition (1539–43) across the Southeast.
Here at the UGA Press, and more behind the scenes, Charlie's manifold contributions are not easily summarized. As an author and editorial board member, as a reader of manuscripts and champion of emerging scholars, he was a true friend of the Press.
Books by Charles Hudson, available from the UGA Press:
- Knights of Spain, Warriors of the Sun: Hernando de Soto and the South’s Ancient Chiefdoms
- The Catawba Nation
- Four Centuries of Southern Indians
- The Forgotten Centuries: Indians and Europeans in the American South, 1521–1704
- Black Drink: A Native American Tea
- Mound Sites of the Ancient South: A Guide to the Mississippian Chiefdoms by Eric E. Bowne
- Looking for De Soto: A Search Through the South for the Spaniard's Trail by Joyce Rockwood Hudson